This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #NatureMadeHealthPack #CollectiveBias
Please note, this blog does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult with your healthcare practitioner.
Our healthy living journey is something I seem to talk about a lot. Over the past few years we’ve made different changes to our lifestyle – both temporary and permanent. After my parents moved in with us two years ago, one of the more permanent changes we made was to significantly reduce the carbs in our diet.
It started with me alone. I jumped on the Keto Diet bandwagon, and found myself losing weight, having more energy, and just feeling better. My dad, who was managing his health through insulin, was told by his doctors to make some significant dietary changes, so he started eating more low carb meals alongside me. Then my oldest son, who has struggled with obesity and developmental delay starting eating low carb meals as well.
At my son’s most recent well-check, his doctor was thrilled. At his last two check-ups he’s maintained the same weight, but grown much taller. Meaning his BMI has come down significantly – from the obese range down into almost normal. And my dad was doing so much better as well. That’s when it kind of clicked for everyone. It would do us all a lot of good to make some healthier changes.
But getting everyone on board isn’t the easiest. Some family members are super picky eaters. Some of them really really like bread. But in time, even the most resistant family members came around.
My dad manages his Type 1 diagnosis with a careful diet, regular exercise insulin, and supplements. Nature Made® Daily Diabetes Health Pack is perfect for him because not only is it scientifically formulated to supply nutritional support for people with diabetes or prediabetes †, but it also comes in convenient grab-and-go pack, each containing a key combination of essential nutrients for Diabetics. †
Watching my dad go through everything he’s been through is definitely motivation for the rest of us to be proactive about our own health. And it’s easier than you might think to get your whole family eating and living healthier.
5 Easy Lifestyle Changes for the Whole Family
1. Reduce carbs and refined sugars. I thought there would be a revolt if I skipped the dinner rolls, but surprisingly, there wasn’t. Often, we don’t have any grains at all with dinner. Instead, I add an extra veggie to the meal, and almost every night there’s a big bowl of salad to go along with the dinner.
2. Create a habit of exercise. We are lucky to have a great resource through a non-profit called Fit 2 Be Kids that offers a free, weekly family fitness class on Saturdays. If you don’t have something like that in your area, you can make up your own thing. Run laps around the park once a week, have a family dance party night, or even join a gym. Use whatever resources are available to you that will make exercise a routine part of your life.
3. Go outside as much as possible. My kids are happy sitting at home watching Netflix or playing with their toys, or destroying their bedroom. But they’re just as happy – if not more – when they’re running around outside. And bonus – they can’t tear the house apart if they’re not in it. We don’t have much of a yard, so it’s up to my husband and I to make an effort to take the kids to the park, or a hike, or just something that gets them moving. And our vacations tend to be more adventurous, with lots of hiking, camping, and exploring.
4. Talk about health, fitness, and disease prevention. Obviously tailor the conversations to be age-appropriate, but I don’t believe anyone is too young to learn about how to take good care of their body. My kids seeing their grandpa use his insulin pen was a really good conversation starter about disease prevention, but you can use any example to start a dialogue.
5. Take your vitamins. I only recently realized the huge difference I feel between when I’m consistent with my vitamins versus when I’m not. (If you’re managing your diagnosis with insulin or a low-glycemic diet like my dad is, Nature Made® Daily Diabetes Health Pack provides essential vitamins and minerals for daily nutritional support. † And it’s the #1 Pharmacist Recommended Diabetic Multivitamin Supplement Brandǂ )
I like to think that we work together as a family to make sure everyone is healthy. Encouragement and support is key, and the simple lifestyle changes above are much easier when everyone is keeping each other accountable.
If you’re heading to Sam’s Club to pick up your own box of Nature Made® Daily Diabetes Health Pack, be sure to grab this great shopping list to go along with it! You’ll find the Nature Made® Daily Diabetes Health Pack near the pharmacy – I found out it right near the pharmacy window!
† These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any diseases.
ǂ Based on US News & World Report – Pharmacy Times Survey
Pin this for later!