Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by BODYARMOR. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
It’s summer! Have I mentioned that yet? I think I have. I know a lot of parents get overwhelmed with keeping their kids entertained without spending money, but it’s super easy.
Just take them outside!
I know, I know, it’s hot outside. But if you stay hydrated, find places that are shady or have water to cool off in, and wear sunscreen and/or protective clothing, then you can safely spend a few hours of your day outside and have a great time. And being outside is just so good for the body and soul!
Some of our favorite summer activities are; going on hikes, playig in the creek, exploring tide pools, finding new playgrounds to play at, and of course lots of pool time.
When you’re swimming, hiking, or playing in the heat, it’s super important to make sure you are hydrated. Of course the easiest way to stay hydrated is to just drink water all day, right? My kids are really great about drinking all of the water I bring for them on our outings. But, some of us (ahem, me) don’t always make water a habit. I usually start my day my having an (unsweetened) iced coffee, then another one, then maybe a third before I switch to (unsweetened) iced tea. Later in the day I usually want some bubbles, so I grab a sparkling water. By the end of the evening, I realize I’m super thirsty, and then I’m chugging glasses of water trying to hydrate myself. Then I do it all over again the next day.
Don’t be like me!
Well, do be like me when I actually try to stay hydrated. When I make an effort to stay well-hydrated, even when I’m super busy, I see a huge difference in how much better I feel. Here’s what I do when I’m on top of my hydration:
5 Easy Summer Hydration Tips for Busy and Active Moms
1. Start your day with a glass of water. Just do it! Don’t drink a coffee or anything else until you’ve had one glass of water. I find the easiest way to do this is to leave a cup or bottle of water near your bed so it’s there and ready to drink in the morning. And then I’m not tempted by any other drinks like I would be if I headed to the kitchen first.
2. Get a water bottle that you love. A fun water bottle with a clever saying or super cute design that you’re excited to carry around with you is a perfect way to make sure you have water on you at all times.
3. Set hourly reminders. Having water on you at all times doesn’t make a difference if you’re not drinking it. I like to annoy myself into good habits, so setting my phone alarm for every hour or two is a great way to keep myself on track.
4. Reward yourself. I am all about positive reinforcement, even for myself. So when I hit my daily water goal, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with a little treat. And usually the reward is just a non-water drink, like one of my favorite flavored beverages. Whatever I can do to keep myself going, right?
5. Find other hydrating drinks that you love. Ever since discovering BODYARMOR drinks at a Mom 2.0 conference, I’ve been obsessed with their awesome flavors! If you’re not familiar, BODYARMOR is a premium sport water designed by athletes, for athletes. I buy them for my kids to drink during sports practice or just on hot days in place of other sports drinks that contain a lot of artificial ingredients and colors.
Recently, they came out with a lighter version – BODYARMOR LYTE. At 20 calories per serving, and containing only natural sweeteners and colors, plus coconut water, electrolytes and vitamins, it’s a tasty and guilt-free way to get more hydration in.
I’m partial to the Peach Mango flavor, but Cherry Berry is really good too! BODYARMOR LYTE has all the same nutrients as BODYARMOR, but with less calories – what’s not to love?
We buy BODYARMOR drinks at our local Ralph’s (a Kroger family store) but you can find it at Stater Bros, Vons, and Target as well! You can grab a coupon here to save on your next BODYARMOR purchase, too!
Now get outside this summer, find new places to explore and have fun. Just make sure to stay hydrated!