Ah, the holidays. Time for laughter, cheer, giving, music, and non-stop holiday specials and movies on your television. Our kids get a little extra into Christmas, wanting to listen to Christmas music non-stop, doing every single foam Christmas craft that Michael’s carries, hanging up their handmade decorations all over my house with masking tape, and of course watching holiday specials!
If you have cable, you can catch most of the classics like A Charlie Brown Christmas, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, and Santa Claus is Coming to Town. But, like most parents, you’ve already seen them a million and one times, and would love some fresh new ear worms. Well, look no further. Here are my Top 5 Holiday Specials You’ll Actually Want to Watch with Your Kids, and where to find them.
1. Trolls Holiday: This one aired on NBC on Black Friday, but luckily it will air again on Christmas Eve. And even better, IT’S COMING TO NETFLIX! Look for it on December 6th, and be prepared to get a few songs stuck in your head.
2. Home for the Holidays: Home is our kids’ favorite show, and we like watching it too. There’s a lot of grown-up (but still kid-friendly) jokes, and creative musical numbers. Home for the Holidays features everyone’s favorite Home characters, plus special guests! And of course lots of original and hilarious music numbers.
3. A Storybots Christmas: Storybots is one of those kids’ shows that is educational and not super annoying, so naturally I don’t mind watching this adorable Christmas special. And this one shows kids that there’s more to Christmas than just gifts, which is a message I am desperately trying to imprint into their brains.
4. Pete the Cat: A Groovy New Year: We have a few Pete the Cat fans in the house, and I love a good book series. This holiday special focuses on New Year’s Eve/Day rather than Christmas, and encourages kids to seek out their own resolutions. It features musical numbers by Elvis Costello, KT Tunstall, and more, so parents can enjoy the soundtrack as much as the kids. All you need to watch this one is an Amazon Prime membership. (If you’re not a member, Use my affiliate link and Try An Amazon Prime 30-Day Free Trial!)
5. A Christmas Story Live!: They took your favorite family Christmas movie and turned it into a musical! (I’m such a sucker for these live TV musicals!) The three-hour live production will air on December 17th at 7 p.m. ET on Fox. I’m planning on getting some snacks and having a pajama night in front of the TV with the kids since it’s kind of long, but I’m looking forward to revisiting an old favorite in a new way!